October 24, 2014

ROY-AL

Tribune:

White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu has been named the Sporting News American League Rookie of the Year, as voted on by fellow AL players.

Abreu received 149 votes to run away with the award. The Angels’ Matt Shoemaker received four votes, followed by the Yankees’ Dellin Betances and Masahiro Tanaka (three votes each) and White Sox infielder Marcus Semien (one vote).

“For me, it means a lot that the players who play against me recognize my efforts, my numbers and performance,” Abreu said through an interpreter on a conference call Monday afternoon. “I am thankful for all of them to give me support. It’s a lot. I don’t really have words to describe what I’m feeling right now.”

Abreu, a 27-year-old from Cuba, hit .317 with 35 doubles, 36 home runs, 107 RBIs, a .581 slugging percentage and a .383 on-base percentage in 145 games this season.
He was the first rookie in major league history to rank in the top five in his league in batting average, home runs and RBIs. He also set the Sox rookie record for home runs and ranks among the top three rookies in Sox history for RBIs.

“I really am not a person that follows the numbers and the stats,” Abreu said. “I don’t like to talk about it. But I am sure that I will prepare every year like this to get the numbers I got this year and better. … I prepare myself in the best way possible for every day and every year. I don’t have to work on anything special, just to be more disciplined with my (work ethic) and that’s it.”

Abreu was a real bright spot for the White Sox this season. He can be a long term piece on a competitive team. If the White Sox can fix their bullpen, add a reliable catcher, and shore up left field production, the White Sox can be very competitive in 2015.